UK Study Visa for Indians: Visa Requirements in 2023 & New Rules
UK is one of the popular abroad study destinations worldwide. The country is home to 350+ globally renowned universities, many reputed colleges and educational institutes. Also, the country offers excellent education and research scope with several scholarships and financial aids. Thus, study in UK is a brilliant opportunity for any Indian student.
However, getting a study visa to enter the country is not easy. And if you are planning to pursue your higher studies in UK, you must learn about all requirements for a UK study visa for Indians. As the requirements change with time. Today we will share the latest UK study visa requirements and new rules as of 2023. So, have a look before you start your preparation for your dream study in UK.
Types of UK Student Visas in 2023
If you want to study in UK, applying for a UK student visa for Indians is a must. Here are the types of UK student visa you can apply for.
- Tier-4 student visa- Students above 16 years of age who have applied for a degree course in UK can apply for the tier-4 student visa. This visa allows an international student to stay in the country longer (depending on the course duration).
- Short-term Study Visa- If you have applied and been selected for a short-duration diploma or vocational courses in a British institution, you must apply for a short-term study visa. This will allow you to live in UK for 6 to 11 months.
- Child student visa- If you want your kid (under 16) to attend an educational institution in UK, you should apply for a minor or child student visa. Their stay in the country will depend on the duration of their pursued course.
UK Study Visa for Indians: General Requirements
If you are planning to pursue your higher studies in UK, you must fill in all the eligibility criteria for UK study visa. And the general requirement for UK study visa includes the following –
- Applicants must be 16 years old or more to apply for a UK student visa.
- The applicants must have sufficient funds to support their UK study and living expense. They must be able to support themselves financially during their stay in the country.
- Applicants must have an official offer letter from any UK university or college.
- Also, they must have the English language proficiency test score according to their chosen course.
A Valid CAS from an Educational Institution in UK
When you apply for a degree or a short-term course in an educational institution in UK, the authority can accept or reject your application. If an institution accepts your application for a course, you will receive an offer letter. This acceptance or offer letter from a licensed education provider in UK is also called CAS or Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. You must have a CAS letter to apply for a UK study visa for Indians. Also, you must apply for a UK student visa within six months of the arrival of your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) letter.
English Language Fluency
Fluency in English is another common requirement for UK student visa applications from India. UK universities rely on the CEFR scale to understand an international student's English language proficiency level. CEFR, or Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, offers a methodology for learning, teaching and assessing in any European Language. Following are the standard English language proficiency levels for various courses in UK.
- For the Postgraduate level- Your English fluency must be a minimum B1 in the CEFR level or an IELTS 4.0 if you want to pursue a postgraduate degree in any University in UK. Many universities in UK also provide English language proficiency tests for their international postgraduate students.
- For Undergraduate level- If you want to pursue an undergraduate degree course in UK, you must have a minimum of B2 in the CEFR level or an IELTS 5.5.
- For below degree level- To pursue below degree level courses in UK, you must pass the SELT or Secure English Language Test. And also provide an online certificate of the same.
Many IELTS and TOEFL exam providers in India can help you take the English Language proficiency test.
Test Report for Tuberculosis
When you apply for a UK study visa, you must submit a tuberculosis test report clearly stating that you tested negative for tuberculosis. Also, anyone outside the UK applying to stay within the country for more than six months need to have the same test report. According to the UK visa guideline, you must undergo a chest screening from a recognised clinic. You need to do a sputum sample if the test result is unclear.
The tuberculosis test report is a must for UK study visa for Indians and some other specific countries. And the test report stating you have tested negative will be considered valid from the signed date to the next six months.
Proof of Financial Support
Another essential requirement for UK student visa is the proof of financial support or ability. So, if you are applying for an UK study visa, you must provide supporting documents or evidence that you have sufficient money or financial ability to support your study in UK.
EUR1,256 is the sufficient amount you must have to apply for the visa. According to CAS, the average studying and living cost in UK includes the following expenses-
- The average course fee per month in London is EUR1,2556.
- The average course fee per month outside London is EUR 1,015.
- The average course fee for doctoral schemes in London is EUR2,530.
- Average course fee for doctoral schemes outside London is EUR2,030.
However, you can be exempted from submitting proof of sufficient financial ability if you are-
- Submitting your visa application for UK student as a student union sabbatical officer.
- Or if you have a previous UK study visa for more than 12 months.
- If your country has different fund criteria.
IHS or Immigration Healthcare Surcharge
An important part of your UK student visa application process is the IHS or Immigration Healthcare Surcharge. The charge depends on the duration of your stay in the country. It helps you access the NHS or National Health Service while staying in UK.
You must pay half of the annual IHS if you stay less than six months in the country. And if you are staying for more than six months, you must pay the annual charge.
However, the IHS does not cover the expenses of dental treatments, eye tests, prescriptions, assisted conception etc.
Documents Required for UK student visa
You need to provide many documents for your UK student visa application; it is only natural that you may forget one or two of them. We have listed all the documents you need to apply for a UK study visa for Indians.
- A copy of your valid passport.
- A visa application form.
- Proof of visa application fee payment.
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
- Proof of Finance.
- CAS or Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies letter.
- A valid ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificate if required.
- Results of Tuberculosis Medical test.
- Payment of IHS or the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge.
- In the case of sponsorship, a written agreement from the financial sponsor is.
- Certificate of Police Clearance.
Additional documents needed in case of an under-18 applicant-
- A copy of the birth certificate or other government document displaying the parents' names
- Proof of Consent from a parent/legal guardian.
- Proof of relationship with the said parent or legal guardian.
UK study visa for Indians: New updates and amendments
Recently, several visa rules have been amended and updated and some new rules are also included . Thus, the change also affected the requirements, process and other aspects of UK study visa for Indians.And if you are preparing to apply for a UK study visa, the following list of new requirements for visa and other updates will be a great help for you-
- According to the new rules, people coming from highly professional backgrounds like academics, technology, and science will get the first priority.
- Every individual who intends to enter UK for work must apply for advance permission.
- The free student movement is now replaced with UK’s new point-based immigration system.
Other amendments for the post-study work visa include the following –
- Now, students can live and work for three years after their PhD.
- And master's degree holders can live and work for two years after course completion.
- The waiting period for a master's can be increased by the government from 2-4 years.
So, if you are want to pursue your higher study in UK, you must obtain a valid student visa to enter the country. If you need guidance in your study visa process for UK, you can contact Numen Eduservices.
FAQ'S - UK Study Visa
What are the new rules for UK Student visa?
According to the new rules for UK student visa, you can use point-based immigration to enter the country, with a waiting period of 3 yrs. for PhD and 2 yrs. For master's, advance permission etc.
How long does it take to get UK visa 2023?
It takes at least one to three months to complete the entire visa process and get a study visa for Indians.
What are the new UK student visa course requirements?
The new UK student visa requirements include advance permission to enter the country. And people who have academic, science and technology study background will get first priority.
Why Choose us!
We hope this article has given you a good overview of the best UK Study Visa for international students. These scholarships can make a huge difference in helping you pay for your studies, so be sure to explore all your options and apply to as many as you are eligible for. With a little bit of research and effort, you could be on your way to funding your studies in the UK. Contact overseas study consultants in Mumbai to be guided and informed on your options for studying abroad in the UK. Our motive is making sure that students have the best experience of their life and can study at a university of their choice with expert guidance.
Contact us for Study in UK and we will help you find the right university and assist with student visa, course fee, etc.