Masters in information system: A complete guide on MIS courses in UK
A Master's in Information System is an interdisciplinary course combining computer science and information technology. This applied computer science covers the latest innovations in data and information. A Master's in MIS offers extensive knowledge about data analysis, social transformation using technology, data inference, digital innovation, etc.
Today MS or MSc in MIS is a popular course worldwide. And, as one of the top study abroad destinations, UK offers various top-grade MIS courses. MIS courses in UK are well-crafted with extensive and fast-paced curricula and offer excellent learning and research facility for the students. So, if you are also want to pursue your masters in MIS in UK, read on. Here we will try to explore all the essential details you need to know about the masters in information system program in UK.
Top Universities for MIS courses in UK
If you want to study master's in Information System or Management of Information System in UK. Here is a list of top UK universities and their 1st-year tuition fees to help you find the best university.
|Name of the Institute
||QS World University Rankings 2023
||1st Year Tuition fee
|London School of Economics and Political Science
|University of Southampton
|University of Leeds
|University of Nottingham
|University of York
|University of Surrey
|Birkbeck, University of London
|CITY, University of London
|Brunel University of London
Requirements for masters in information systems in UK
Multiple UK universities offer master's in MIS in UK for Indian students. But one can enrol under them for the course only when they fill all the requirements set by the institute. Here are some essential requirements you must fill in to take admission to a master's in information system in UK.
- Formal education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information system or other relevant fields. Applicants must have a basic knowledge of computer science and information technology.
- GER or GMAT score: Another essential requirement to enrol in MIS courses in UK is the GER or GMAT score. All applicants must have a good GER or GMAT score. Scoring high on these tests increases the chances of getting admitted to a top university in UK.
- Language proficiency test report: All applicants must pass an English Language proficiency test with a good score. Most UK universities accept TOEFL and IELTS test scores. However, the average score for acceptance may vary from one university to another.
- Check the GPA: Most business schools in UK use your GPA to check your academic performance. Thus, it is essential to check your GPA and the business school's requirements and see whether your GPA meets them.
- SoP or statement or purpose: Another vital requirement to enrol in a master's in MIS in UK is a good SoP. You must write a good statement of purpose that clearly states why you choose this course and university and your future plans. If you are uncertain about your writing skills and do not feel confident about writing a statement of purpose, you can seek professional help. Getting professional help to draft a high-quality SoP will increase your chances of admission. Professional writers have experience in writing SoPs and can deliver qualifying SoPs
- Get references: If you want to enrol in a UK university or business school, you must get some recommendations from the right people. Recommendations say a lot about you, like your personality, professional behaviour, ability to take the course, etc. It boosts your application merit and helps you secure a position in UK universities. You can ask your previous university professors or someone related to this field who knows you professionally, like your previous employer, to write a recommendation letter for you.
- Draft an excellent resume: Besides your SoP, you must submit an updated resume with your application. Drafting a beautiful and informative resume highlighting all your relevant education, training and work experience can help you get an admission to UK universities.
- Perform well in your interview: Almost every UK university or business school interview the selected candidates before enrolling them. Performing well in the interview is essential to get admission. You can seek assistance from the people who have cleared this kind of interview. You can also search for interview preparation videos or common questions and answers to prepare yourself.
When pursuing MIS courses in UK, you must also get a valid student visa to enter the country and pursue higher studies. You must apply for the visa at least three months before your travel date and after receiving the university offer letter. The visa application fee for international students is €368.
Cost of studying
The cost of MIS courses in UK can vary from one university to another as the tuition fee differs in every university. The tuition fee is also subject to annual review and increment in the program duration. But the average cost of studying MIS in UK for Indian students is EUR21,000- EUR30,000 for full-time masters (for 1st year) in information system programs. There are also other miscellaneous costs and living expenses like accommodation, transportation, food, utilities and cost of study materials that one must consider.
The tuition fee for part-time master's in information system programs is lesser than for full-time programs. But most students prefer full-time, in-campus courses for better career opportunities.
Living expenses largely depend on the kind of individual lifestyle one chooses to lead. However, the living expense for studying master's in management of information system in UK can be EUR50,000- 60,000.
Various organisations and many UK universities also provide various scholarships and financial aid. So, if you want to study master's in information system in UK and want to know about scholarships available for international or Indian students, here is a list of MIS in UK scholarships for your help.
|Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
||CITY, University of London
|Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships
||CITY, University of London
|Postgrad Solutions Study Bursary
||CITY, University of London
|South Asia Postgraduate Excellence Award
||University of Nottingham
|UK International Postgraduate Excellence Award
||University of Nottingham
|Global Excellence Scholarship
|Global Ambassador Scholarship
Other universities like Birmingham University, Cranfield University and Newcastle University offer scholarships to international students pursuing postgraduate courses.
scholarships for Indian students aspiring to study MIS in UK.
- Global Study Awards
- Inlaks Scholarships
- K.C Mahindra Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies abroad
- GyanDhan Scholarship
- QS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
Jobs and pay scale in UK
MIS in UK for Indian students opens the door to diverse career opportunities and high-paying job roles. After successfully completing their course, students can opt for job sectors like business system analysis, logistics, research and development, and manufacturing management consultancy. Here are some attractive job roles in UK that MIS postgraduates can take up.
||Salary Per Annum
||Business Analyst, IT
||Business Development Analyst
||Business Intelligence Developer
||Project Coordinator, Information Technology
Post-study work permit
If you want to take MIS courses in UK, you also get a chance to stay and work in the country for a specific time and gather experience. The students holding a student visa or undergraduate/postgraduate/other courses in MIS can apply for a post-study work permit. Also, the applicant's university or school must inform the Home office about the applicant’s course completion.
The graduate degree holders get 2 years work permit, and students with a doctoral can stay for 3 years with the work permit. However, they must pay €715 for application and €624 for healthcare surcharges per year.
Top companies in UK that Hire MIS and IS Postgraduates
UK is a hub of many government and private companies that hire IS and MIS postgraduates yearly.
- Bank of America
- London Stock Exchange
- Barclays Capital
- Goldman Sachs
- Morgan Stanley
MIS courses in UK offer an opportunity to learn cutting-edge skills in information system and computer science with an excellent chance to get financially satisfactory job roles. And if you are planning to take up a master’s in MIS in UK, you must contact Numen EduServices for complete guidance.
What does MS in information systems require?
MIS courses in UK require basic knowledge of information technology and computer science, English Language proficiency and satisfactory GER or GMAT score. However, the requirements can vary from one institute to another, and you must check different institution websites to know more.
What can you do after master's in Information Systems?
You can get plenty of work opportunities after completing master's in MIS, like working in IT sectors, information centres, etc
Is MIS in high demand?
Yes, MIS is a high-in-demand course globally, and you can get various high-profile jobs after completing the MIS course.
Which country is best for MIS?
Many countries offer MIS courses nowadays. However, UK is one of the best places to study MIS courses, with world-class teaching and research facility at affordable tuition fees. Also, you get working opportunities with leading companies.
Does MIS require GRE?
Yes, most UK universities and business schools require a GRE or GMAT score for MIS admission. Also, getting a higher score on GRE or GMAT can help you secure a position in top institutions in UK.
You can ask help from Numen Eduservices as a study abroad consultants in Mumbai,. We are one of the emerging Overseas Education consultants that help Indian students in every possible way to travel overseas for study without hassles.
However, if you are in Delhi, you can contact our study abroad consultants in Delhi to apply for study visa in UK. We will guide you to prepare for the examination and interview session so that you get selected for your dream University in the UK
Study in the UK? Contact us and we'll help!